Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thing 10. Wikis

Blog Prompts
  • -What did you find interesting about the wiki concept?
Wikis are exciting. The possibilities are almost unlimited. Access can be restricted, but contributors can be from anywhere in the world. You can plan meetings, organize projects, find new ideas and people for event planning...

-What types of applications within libraries and schools might work well with a wiki?
  • -Many teachers/faculty "ban" Wikipedia as a source for student research. What do you think of the practice of limiting information by format?
I don't think access to information should be restricted, however, even though Wikipedia is fairly accurate, it's only as good as its contributors. One only has to see how pervasive urban legends are to know that any info from independent sources is suspect.

-Which wiki did you edit?

Challenge (optional)
1. Want to create your own wiki?

A few weeks ago, I created a wiki: http://lanesboro.wetpaint.com/?t=anon
I started it as an experimental project I'm working on for my town.

2. Choose a topic, create the wiki, add entries, and let us know what you are doing.

My wiki will be used as a method of organizing a barter system in Lanesboro. At the very least, it will be a great starting point. Up till now, I haven't been able to determine a way to implement my idea. Most solutions are time and location intensive. I'm not heroic enough to do a LOT of work for free.

No comments: